Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New Ducks!

As many of you know, I'm a musician as well as an urban farmer.  I was just in Portland this last weekend, and couldn't resist to plan a side trip to acquire a couple more female Australian Spotted ducks from a lady raising them near Oregon City, outside of Portland.

So, after a couple of days of intense late-night partying, teaching dance & calling square dances, and exhausted me dragged myself out of bed Sunday morning to drive out for my new ducks.  Husband woke up too and did the actual driving, and I'm so glad we made the little side trip because my new girls are BEAUTIFUL.  The lighting has been terrible to take pictures the last few days, but I'll get some up soon... but here's a good example of the two girls I brought home.  The new girls are a silverhead and a bluehead, which will add some nice diversity to my greenhead drake & duck that I got in the mail from the renowned Holderread's Waterfowl Farm.



















To the left is a pic of a silverhead and the pic of the trio on the right shows a bluehead duck in the front left, and then a greenhead drake and duck in the back and right.

I'm looking forward to nesting season in a couple of months.  So far, the new girls are proving to be quite bossy to the demure pair from Holderread's, but I'm hoping that the drake will assert himself as the springtime rolls around.

2 comments:

  1. How do you get a duck in the mail?
    Oh, and Paul wants to know if they included the bill and if you had to put in a down payment? (groan)
    - Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam,
    they actually mail them to you in a cute little red & white USPS bird carrier box. Yes, Paul... they included BOTH bills... and I put a prepayment on the down... DOH!

    ReplyDelete